Technology Support has narrowed down the cause of the recent Internet outage that we have been experiencing to a few computers in the EVSC having malware. For those of you who don’t know what malware is, malware is a term used to refer to malicious software that tries to infect and hijack your computer, phone, or tablet. Malware is like a software virus that tries to take over your computer and can sometimes make your Internet network come to a screeching halt even affecting the Internet speeds for other devices on the same network. Malware can get on your computer when surfing the Internet using a web browser.
Technology Support personnel will be coming around to classrooms and computer labs around the district to install a program called Malwarebytes to clean computers of malware software. If you would like to install Malwarebytes ahead of Tech Support visiting you, here are directions on how to install Malwarebytes and scan and clean your computer.
Malwarebytes Install and Cleaning Directions
Tech Support has pushed out the installation files to all Windows computers. The directions below show you how to get the install files, how to install them, and how to clean your computer of malware. If you do not see the install files, restart your computer and then look again after you log back in.
1. Click on Start button in lower left of screen.
2. Click on ‘Computer’
3. Click on ‘C: Drive’
4. Click on ‘installers’
5. Double-Click mbam-setup.exe to install.
6. Follow all the default selections except the last page, uncheck both. (see picture below)
7. Next, you’ll install the updated definitions file in the same folder.
8. After installation you’ll double click and run Malwarebytes on your desktop. It could potentially take up to an hour to run.
9. Once the scan is complete, look at the infections window that pops up and see if you notice one called “hijack folder options”.
10. If you notice this, please contact your school technician or tech coordinator.
11. Click ‘Remove Now” to disinfect your computer.
12. Your computer may restart. This is fine but please leave the computer on when you leave.
Questions / Comments?
If you have any questions about the process or if you experienced any issues, please leave a comment below.