If you have been looking for a solution to share your classroom iDevice (iPad/iPhone/iPod) on your computer screen (and therefore, on your Promethean Board), AirServer might be a great fit for you.
What Does AirServer Do?
AirServer allows a user to connect a mobile iOS device to a computer so that the user can demonstrate what is going on on their mobile device. Teachers can use this to do demos directly from their iPad to their computer. If the computer is connected to their Promethean Board, they can project their iPad for the whole class to see. You can also record an AirServer session which makes it possible to save a demonstration for viewing later.
AirServer is a purchased product. They have educational pricing as well as discounts for purchasing in bulk. AirServer also offers a free 7-Day trial. Once you purchase AirServer, you will install the software on your computer. This works with a single computer per license, but unlimited iDevices can then be displayed through that single computer. Here is a link to the download page:
Setting Up and Using AirServer
- Download and install AirServer on the target computer. After download, simply click the downloaded file and follow the directions to install.
- Locate the AirServer program and launch it. On a Mac, the AirServer program can be found in the app launcher located in the dock or in the menu bar at the top of your screen. Look for the icon pictured on the left.
- Click AirServer so that it is running on your device.
- Next, you need your mobile iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch).
- Make sure your device is on our network. Use WD or WMN, not Guest. You can check that in your device’s settings menu:
- Next, from a main screen on your iDevice, swipe upward from the bottom, revealing the iPad/iPhone/iPod control screen:
- You want to click the AirPlay button.
- A list of possible AirPlay Destinations will come up. You are looking for your computer. Typically in the EVSC, it will be identified with the 1st 3 letters of your school and your last and first name. Click that:
- Then click the mirroring slider to turn on mirroring:
- At this point, assuming your computer is on, you should be able to see your iDevice’s screen on your computer screen. As you interact with the iDevice, your interactions will occur on your computer as well. You can view the iDevice in full-screen or partial-screen mode:
- Use the arrows in the upper-right corner or on the AirServer tool bar to toggle between views.
- To turn AirServer off, you can Quit AirServer from the Menu bar or turn off mirroring from your device.
Best Practice- Setting a Password for your AirServer
This will keep folks from projecting their stuff onto your screen.
- Click the AirServer icon in the menu bar (on a PC locate preferences in the AirServer Menu):
- Then, under password, select onscreen password.
- Now, when you turn on mirroring from your iDevice, a code will appear on your computer screen:
- Enter the code that appears to activate mirroring between your iDevice and computer.
Why Use AirServer?
AirServer can be used to share anything that is on your iPad with your class. Install AirServer on the computer connected to your Promethean Board, and you can:
- Demonstrate how to use an app for your class.
- Project a FaceTime or Skype conversation.
- Share student artwork, photography, or videos.
- Demonstrate online behaviors like effective searching or responsible social media use.
- Project timer or other classroom management apps.
- Illustrate concepts.
- Play music from your iTunes and other music apps.
- Play learning games as a class.
- Explore learning apps as a class.
- Share photos that you take in class as soon as you take them.