What is an Apple ID?
An Apple ID is an account created using an email address and it allows you to access Apple services and products. With an Apple ID you can download apps, music and other media (books, movies, TV) for an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac computer. An Apple ID is also used for iCloud services provided by Apple. These iCloud services include places to store content in the cloud. iPad/iPhone/iPod backups, documents and photo sharing are services which can be set up to use your Apple ID.
To read more about Apple ID basics, Apple has published information at this site: http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/
Why do I need an Apple ID?
While it is possible to use an iPad, iPhone, iPod, or Mac without an Apple ID, most users will want to create an Apple ID to use many features which make your device more functional. Here are some of the biggest reasons you will want to set up an account:
- Adding Apps – Apps are probably the most desired part of having an Apple ID. An Apple ID is required to install an app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac. To install apps, you will go to the App Store to find the App you want and select Install or Get. You will be prompted to enter your password. Many apps are free but some do have a cost.
- Adding Music – the iTunes store has millions of tracks of music which can be purchased and downloaded for your use. Go to the iTunes Store and select the item(s) you desire. Once again you will be asked to enter your Apple ID password to make a purchase.
- Adding Books – iBooks has thousands of books which can be purchased and there are some free selections. Your Apple ID and password will be required to add a book to your iBooks library.
- Photo Sharing and Backup – On an iPad, iPhone, or iPod go to Settings > iCloud. Here you can turn on Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing which will back up your photos and allow you to share them with others. Your Apple ID and password will be required to set up this feature.
- iCloud Backup – On an iPad, iPhone, or iPod go to Settings > iCloud > Backup. Here you can set your device to automatically back up to the cloud. These backups contain everything on your device and can be applied to a new one if yours is lost, stolen, or replaced.
- Additional uses for your Apple ID can be found at http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202659
How Do I Set Up and Apple ID?
Setting up an Apple is a fairly simple process. It is recommended that you set aside some time to do so. 10-15 minutes should be enough time. During the process of setting up your Apple ID, you will be asked to provide:
- A working email account where you can receive email
- First, Middle and Last name
- A password for your account (Write it down or keep it stored somewhere)
- 3 security questions and answer (Write them down or keep them stored somewhere)
- Date of birth
- Optional rescue email account in case you ever get locked out
- House address
Apple.com Set Up Instructions
- Set up your ID without a credit card: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204034
- Set up your ID on your iPhone, iPad, iPod: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2731#iOS device
- Set up your ID on a computer: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2731#computer
Frequently Asked Questions About an Apple ID
- The previous owner of my iPad left their Apple ID on it. How can I remove it? To remove an Apple ID from the previous owner, go to Settings > iCloud and select the Apple ID at the top and select Logout. Also, go to iTunes & App Store and select the Apple ID at the top and select logout. At this point, you may remove everything but it is best to check two more places: Messages and FaceTime.
NOTE: Best practice is to completely erase the iPad to fully remove everything from the previous owner. (see the next point)
- How do I completely erase my iPad and remove all of the previous owner’s content and Apple ID? To fully erase the iPad go to Settings-> General-> Reset-> select Erase All Content and Settings. Your iPad will restart and take you through the setup screens again.
- How do I set up Find My iPhone on my device? Go to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod and turn it on. NOTE: If you turn this on, your device will be locked to your Apple ID and no one else will be able to use that iPad again. If you forget your Apple ID or password, EVSC devices can be reset, but it requires several days for Apple to reset it. Your device will be erased completely. If you set up this feature and forget your Apple ID information on a personal device, you will not be able to use it again until you can enter the Apple ID and password.
- Who do I contact if I have problems with my Apple ID? The EVSC does not maintain personal Apple ID accounts and cannot assist with resetting passwords or recovering forgotten security questions. Apple is the only one who can help with Apple ID issues. Contact Apple Care at http://support.apple.com or 1-800-MY-APPLE.
- Where can I change my password, security questions, and account information? Security questions, passwords, and the account can be edited by going to http://appleid.apple.com
- Can I add multiple Apple IDs to my device? It is not recommended to add multiple Apple IDs to a device. Multiple accounts complicate usage and sometimes create confusion with sharing features. Information may unintentionally be shared to the wrong Apple ID. Apple recommends using one Apple ID and not multiple IDs. More info at this site: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204161
- What do I do if I have forgotten my Apple ID? Start by going to http://appleid.apple.com and if you cannot resolve the issue there, contact Apple Care at http://support.apple.com or 1-800-MY-APPLE.
- Do you have additional questions? Leave your question in the comment area below!